What About Open House?
The weekend “Open House” idea has historically been promoted by Realtors as an effective method to sell your home. This is more myth than reality. It is an effective way for Realtors to meet new potential buyers and sellers and use your house as “bait”.
Statistics compiled by the real estate industry clearly indicate that LESS THAN 1% of homes sold, actually sell as a result of open houses. The effectiveness of holding open houses is a myth that has been perpetuated for decades by, ironically, my own industry! Real estate agents can effectively market themselves while making you think they are “working” to sell your home.
Meanwhile, what it really does:
• Forces you to leave your home for the day and hang out at the mall.
• Increases the security risks which are on the rise by out of area thieves, posing as buyers who “visit” open houses on the weekends. We receive reports that are alarming from our local association regarding this problem every week.
• Opens your house to inquisitive neighbors looking for decorating ideas.
• Attracts prospects whose price and size parameters may not be correct for your home. Most open house visitors (80-85%) arrive simply because of the signs, not the ads. Buyers enjoy open houses, but keep in mind that you are a “seller”. Sellers only want qualified, non-contingent, motivated buyers that are represented by an agent. Most serious buyers are working with a real estate agent to save time and get all the information they need regarding schools, current market prices, availability of homes for sale, etc. They are busy people and usually don’t drive around aimlessly on the weekend.
HERE ARE THE TOOLS THAT WORK:
• The Multiple Listing Service . A computer system that allows any member agent to obtain accurate information on your home and to show it by appointment.
• The Internet . Your home is listed on several top Real Estate sites such as HomeSeekers.com, Realtor.com, Homesandland.com, Empirerealty.com, and my personal website, Dielissen.com.
• Homes & Land Magazine . The best color real estate guide in the Bay Area. It is distributed to grocery stores, hotels, Residence Inns, airports, rental car agencies, newsstands, restaurants, and hundreds of locations all over the county.
• Brokers Tour . A hosted Open House for Real Estate Agents. Listed on the M.L.S. computer and hosted by me or my assistant. Food will be served and your property promoted to local agents from 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. on that day.
• Postcards . Mailed to all homeowners in your area with a photo, price and features.
• Color photo fliers . Placed in your home for buyers to take when viewing with their agent or myself. We also mail and email these to prospective buyers upon request.
For more information on this subject visit Is an Open House a Waste of Time? Also consider reading If it isn’t nailed down at an open house thieves will take it!